Welcome back to A Literary Latte!
This time around we’re having two recaps really close together because I admittedly disappeared for a month – BUT I’m okay with that because monthly recaps are always my favourite posts to read and write. To see my July recap you can click here for the second chapter of The Book Briefing, but without further ado…
What books did I read in August?
Simon VS The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Abertalli ★★★★★
Since the first read in Portugal, I’ve read Simon VS every time I’ve been on holiday – making this August my 5th read of the book! Such a comfort read for me and I always enjoy it just as much as the first time.
Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Abertalli ★★★★☆ (reread)
After reading Simon VS I wasn’t finished with the Simonverse and decided to reread all of them, making my next read Leah on the Offbeat! I loved reading this actually and enjoyed it way more than the first time I read it which was a nice surprise!
Love, Creekwood by Becky Abertalli ★★★★★ (reread)
The final book in my Simonverse reading marathon – this one is kind of pointless because there’s not really a plot and it’s just emails between the main characters but that’s testament to how much I love these characters! It was only a short novella but I really wish it had been longer!
Legendborn by Tracey Deonn ★★★★★
This was one of my favourite books I’ve read this year and it was INCREDIBLE. I’m going to write chapter 03 of The Book Briefing (see 01 and 02) on this book because I have so many things to say but to summarise: incredible, fast-paced plot that I was hooked on, complex characters (Sel ftw <3) and beautifully detailed world building too. 10/10 recommend.
Life in August
- A UK staycation – given the Covid situation, travelling abroad wasn’t really an option and so my family and I went on a staycation in the English countryside! We went to the Peak District for a week and it was honestly so lovely to get away and be somewhere different, especially in such a beautiful part of the country.
- Working a lot – just like the rest of the summer I was working a lot in the office but it’s been really fun. I’ve only got a couple of weeks left before I move to university but this summer has been really fun and I’ve gained such good work experience too!
- Seeing friends and family Given the recent lockdowns and the fact that I’m moving away from home soon, it’s been so lovely to spend more time with friends and family lately! Definitely something I won’t ever take for granted.
- Prepping for uni I’ve received all of my accommodation info, reading lists etcetera and it’s really hit me that university is in about 3 weeks. Crazy.
Setting goals for September
- Finish prepping for uni – I still have A LOT of stuff to buy for university and so now is the time I need to do that. Alongside that I also want to have a look through the pre-reading list, set up a Notion info hub with everything I need and maybe do a little academic prep because I have imposter syndrome on my lack of knowledge :). Not long to go now!
- Continue to prioritise my mental health – with university coming up I know that it’s going to be so easy for me to just say yes to everything and be constantly on the go, without taking time for myself and selfceare. For me that looks like yoga and meditation so I definitely need to routinely make time for them. After Fresher’s week I also want to get into a routine in terms of keeping a healthy sleep schedule.
- Read 3 books (similar to above – I want to make sure I carve out time for the things I love! Hopefully blogging can also continue but who knows how much time I’ll have. I’ll try my best though!)
- Have the best time and just try to be the best version of myself I really can’t believe that I move to university so soon (I sound like a broken record sorry). Next time I write a monthly recap my life will just be completely different which is so weird to think about – can’t wait to update you all!
Thank you so much for reading this post and I hope you all had a great July & August! Once again I’m sorry for the inactivity but I want to spend the next few weeks trying to plan ahead and pre-schedule as many posts as I can so that I don’t completely drop off the bandwagon again.
4 thoughts on “The August 2021 recap”
Glad you enjoyed Legendbord!! I’m starting uni a couple weeks and I’m totally not prepared at all. Good luck with everything 🖤
LikeLiked by 1 person
i love legendborn so much, selwyn kane is TRULY the best thing to happen to the book world tbh haha! good luck with preparing for uni!
LikeLiked by 1 person
So happy to see that you loved Legendborn! I still have it waiting on my Kindle and I’m super excited to read it 🥰 Good luck with university, I hope everything goes well! It’s such a big change but hopefully it brings many new exciting things for you ❤
LikeLiked by 1 person
Best of luck with uni!! I hope you’ll be able to have a wonderful time there! 🥰