I initially wrote the title as ‘The May 2020 Recap’ so if that doesn’t tell you how I feel about it being August I don’t know what will.
July was actually a pretty good month?
I went out a little bit more than previous months (seeing family and friends – socially distanced of course – and we went to a restaurant!) and also… FOLKLORE
I was not ready for the absolute masterpiece it was but I love that album so much.
Also. HAMILTON. I’m so glad I get to see the show again whenever I want (plus with the OBC yes please).
And now for the rest of July!
What books did I read?
Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Abertalli ★★★☆☆ (3.5?)
Did I like Leah? Not really no. I found her a little annoying if I’m honest.
I read this one in preparation for Love, Creekwood but I was disappointed unfortunately. I felt like all the characters were different to how they were in Simon VS? Not sure if that’s just me but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzalez ★★★★☆
Guys I loved this!! I was pretty sure I would because
a) Gay Grease
b) It’s been really hyped
And I was totally right! This was really cute and I flew through it.
SPOILERSI actually thought it would be a bit lighter though? I CRIED when Aunt Linda died. I never used to cry that much at books but now I just get set off so easily?? And I also kind of didn’t like Will that much but we move. Don’t know what it was about him but I definitely preferred the MC (but I can’t remember his name oops).
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West ★★★☆☆ (3.5)
I really enjoyed this one! I didn’t like The Fill-In Boyfriend by West so I wasn’t sure how I’d find it? But I had a free trial of Book Mate and this was on there so I thought I might as well give it a go. And I was pleasantly surprised! Objectively the characters were pretty flat but I went through this one really quick.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee ★★★☆☆ (2.5)
I actually did quite like this one but I also didn’t really like it at the same time so I don’t really know what to rate it? Could have predicted that though because IT’S A PERSON ON THE COVER.
I also don’t want to say too much because I found out after that the author has been a bit problematic lately. I don’t really know the details but yeah, thought I’d put that out there.
Love, Creekwood by Becky Abertalli ★★★★☆ (4.5)
I’m so glad I loved this one because Leah fell short and I was worried this would too. I could read their emails forever honestly. The everyday/mundane nature of the emails just shows how much I love these characters and I was so glad to get to experience more Simon and Blue <3.
I really want more though because I want to know what happens after the final email.
Also I’m pretty sure that the proceeds go towards an LGBT charity so that’s definitely a reason to pick it up (but read Simon first cause spoilers obviously)!
And… what books did I DNF?
I used to feel bad for DNFing but now I’m kind of an advocate for it?
So here are the books I DNF’d in July 2020!
- The Gravity Of Us I really wanted to love this one but I just didn’t like the writing style and it just felt a bit rushed? I’m not sure, I just found that I wasn’t really bothered about whether or not the characters got together and it felt very quick (insta loveee)
- The Wrath and the Dawn I just didn’t follow the storyline with this one but I think that’s my fault not the book. It’s not you, it’s me. But also… PERSON ON THE COVER.
- Dress Codes For Small Towns Just wasn’t in the mood for this one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Mental health ✓ Again this is a personal goal so I haven’t shared explicitly what it is but I did make progress with it. Obviously had setbacks but overall pretty good :).
- Grow my Instagram to 1700 followers ✓✓
- Stop picking my nails ✓✗ I haven’t stopped entirely but I’ve made progress!
- Work on my EPQ ✓✓ I finished my first draft on the 23rd!! I’ve been procrastinating this forever so I’m so happy to just have editing to do now!
- Go for one walk a week minimum ✓ I can’t believe I even put this as a goal haha but yes? Literally hit the minimum but it has been pretty grey this month so.
I don’t have that many goals for August really so here are a couple:
- Stop picking my nails I am so determined to do it this month.
- Write my personal statement Uni things!! Am I terrified about this idea? Kind of, yes.
- Grow my Instagram to 1800 followers
- Edit my EPQ It’s due when I go back to school beginning of September so I’d like to have edited it so I have a complete draft by then.
- Mentally prepare for back to school
(I’m kind of nervous??)
General life stuff
July was a pretty good month actually.
• I actually went out (not just for a walk) to see family and also saw my friends for the first time since March!
• My family and I also went to a restaurant (!!) which was really nice.
Even though it’s still super weird with everyone wearing masks and the new regulations, it has been lovely to be able to go out a bit more.
• Taylor Swift released folklore and I!! am!! not!! okay!!
I might just write a whole post chatting about folklore with my fave lyrics and everything so let me know if you wouldn’t mind seeing that haha. I am also planning on doing Ilsa’s folklore book tag at some point but I am notoriously bad at getting to book tags because I can never choose books for them oops. But I also love doing them so it’s a losing battle?
Anyway, as for the songs.
I love them all (duh) but my absolute faves are:
– the last great american dynasty
– illicit affairs
Hamilton was also released and I love it so much!!
I saw the show in London back in 2018 but I’m so happy I get to watch it whenever I want on Disney+!!
(In better quality than bootlegs oops)
Also! I’m actually really happy with my blog at the moment? I love the layout and my new logo and dividers/headers so yay for that! + We reached 200 followers this month which is so cool! Thank you <3.